Welcome to our favorite park!!!
Welcome to our favorite park!!!
In 1955, LeSourdsville Lake added a second roller coaster to its ride lineup - The Jack Rabbit and geared towards the younger generation. This kiddie-style oval ran 50 seconds or two times around. (Photo: park archives)
The Jack Rabbit was located within the kids area just to the right of the main entrance. In 1968, the ride was replaced with the Little Dipper. (Photo: park archives)
The Little Dipper debuted in 1968 replacing the aging Jack Rabbit. This Allan Herschell model was similar to the Jack Rabbit with its oval design. (Photo: park archives)
The duration of the ride was also similar to the Jack Rabbit - 50 seconds or two times around. (Photo: park archives)
The Little Dipper was the recipient of the Jake's Coaster Land Kids Kool! Award in 1997 and ranked #24 among kiddie coasters at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom, Cedar Point, Paramount's Kings Island and Stricker's Grove. The Little Dipper was sold to Sluggers & Putters in Canal Fulton, Ohio. (Photo: Scott Fowler)
The Wild Mouse was the park's third coaster and installed in 1961. This Heinrich steel coaster was imported from Germany and one of only five that were operating in the United States. The coaster was 1000 in length and the ride lasted just under two minutes. The average speed was 35mph. The coaster was retired after the 1964 season and sold to Cedar Point. (Photo: park archives)
The Serpent was originally built in 1987 by GDC and ran at Nobles Funland in Paducah, Kentucky. In 1989, it was purchased by Americana. This Galaxi ran 1919 feet and was 45 feet high. The ride duration was just under two minutes and ran about 35 mph. (Photo: Kevin Miller)
The Serpent was the recipient of a Jake's Coaster Land 97 award ranking #17 among similar coasters. After the park closed in 2002, The Serpent was moved to Kokomo's in Saginaw, Michigan where it continues to thrill riders. (Photo: Kevin Miller)
The park's legendary roller coaster had three names throughout its life - we'll start with the Cyclone years. This 1927 John Miller wood design was moved to LeSourdsville in 1938 after it was purchased from Moxahalia Park in Zanesville, Ohio. (Photo: park archives)
Over 63,000 board feet was used to construct the coaster and cost $35,000 to reconstruct the coaster along the Great Miami River. (Photo: park archives)
In 1961, the name of the coaster was changed to the Space Rocket. Over the years, much of the 2640 feet of track was replaced on regular intervals. (Photo: Alfred Freeman)
According to coaster expert Alfred Freeman, who ran the coaster for several years, the coaster could only run one train at a time due to the braking system used. Between 1968 and 1971, the coaster was painted white and that is how most people remember seeing the coaster. (Photo: Alfred Freeman)
In 1978, the name of the coaster was changed to the Screechin' Eagle. In 1997, the National Amusement Device trains were replaced by NAD chassis and PTC cars from the defunct Wildcat coaster at Elitch Gardens. Computer operated brakes and automatic lap bar releases were installed along with seat dividers and headrests. (Photo: Kevin Miller)
The duration of the ride was only one minute 35 seconds but sometimes it seemed much longer. The average speed was 45mph. (Photo: park archives)
In 1990, the coaster was named as a "classic" by the American Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE), an international group of coaster lovers. In 1997, the coaster was ranked as #3 by Jake's Coaster Land 97 and recipient of the Speed Award, Most Airtime Award, the Fallout Award and the Ride Award - the coaster that makes you say, "WOW" when you pull into the station. In 1998, the coaster was ranked #23 among
Copyright © 2023 LeSourdsville Lake/Americana Amusement Park Memorial - All Rights Reserved.
Powered by GoDaddy